January 31, 2024
By April 30, 2024
By May 31, 2024
Scholarship Awards and Eligibility
The Flip Flops Foundation will award a total of $3500 in 2024 annual scholarship grants to three students, in the amounts of $2000, $1000 and $500. Awards will be renewable if applicants maintain/fulfill terms each year to receive subsequent year grants, based on the term length of the applicant’s educational program.
Applicants must be residents of the greater Carlisle, Pennsylvania area, who are either graduating high school or have earned their GED, and who plan to further their education with a degree or certificate from a college/university or technical/vocational program. Applicants must have earned and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative or equivalent (on a 4.0 scale) GPA.
Scholarship Application Process and Criteria
HOW TO APPLY
The application process requires on-time submission of a completed scholarship application form, a personal statement and letter of recommendation. You can submit your application on our Apply Now page during accepted submission dates.
- Character of applicant via a submitted application, personal statement and letter of recommendation.
- Personal statement via a one page essay describing the applicant and a meaningful perspective, experience or goal in their life.
- Letter of recommendation will be from one individual who can speak to the applicant’s qualifications.
- Community Service and Work Experience as noted/demonstrated through submitted application materials.
- Extracurricular Interests and Activities as noted/demonstrated through submitted application materials.
- Leadership as noted/demonstrated through submitted application materials.
- Education as a priority and achievement as noted/demonstrated through submitted application materials.
Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Flip Flops Foundation scholarship?
The Flip Flops Foundation was started in 2021 by a group of Carlisle High School graduates, upon the untimely death of their classmate, Todd R. Copenhaver. Todd embodied the spirit of hard work, scholastic achievement, community spirit, and leadership. He did all of that while being a great friend, community member, and later in life, an outstanding husband and father. It’s the Flip Flops Foundation’s intent to honor Todd’s life through these educational scholarship awards to support the growth of Carlisle, PA area youth as they, too, become leaders in life and their communities.
What is the award?
The Flip Flops Foundation will award a total of $3500 in 2024 in annual scholarship dollars to three students; awarded in amounts of $2000, $1000 and $500. The awards will be renewable (subject to conditions) based on the term length of the applicant’s educational program (eg. 1, 2, 4yrs).
Who is eligible to apply for the scholarship?
- Be a resident of the “greater Carlisle, PA area” which is limited to any student who lives within the boundary of the Carlisle Area School District, whether attending Carlisle High School, a private school, or home school
- Be a graduating high school student or have earned a GED
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (unweighted) or GED equivalent
- Be enrolling in a college, university or vocational/technical education program in upcoming academic year
How do I apply?
- Submit an application package consisting of the following 3 requirements before the annual deadline
- Requirement 1: a completed application form
- Requirement 2: a personal statement essay
- Requirement 3: 1 letter of recommendation
- All 3 requirements are to be submitted at the same time either via the online upload tool on this website or via email to [email protected]
What should I write my personal statement essay about?
Your essay should include your name and email, and then in 500 words or less … be yourself, be bold, tell your story, and give us insight into who you are!
Some essay prompts to consider:
- Discuss a special attribute or accomplishment that sets you apart.
- Describe a time you were in a leadership role, how it went, and what factors impact how you lead.
- Describe what goals you have and how you plan to achieve them by furthering your education.
- Tell us about something you created/built, what the process was like, and what it means for you or others.
- Share how you’ve balanced your academics while participating in your extracurriculars, volunteerism or work.
- What are your influences and/or who inspired you and how, to get involved in your school or community.
- Discuss an issue of importance to you, why it’s important, and how your personal, family or community experience affects your perspective.
What should my letter of recommendation include?
Letters of recommendation help us learn about you and your story from others who have seen you be you! You and your recommender must:
- Select someone who can speak to your character as a person and in your community
- Consider people such as a teacher, counselor, coach, mentor, clergy, job/volunteer supervisor
- The letter should include your name/email and the recommender’s name/email
- The letter should be 500 words or less (not including name/email info)
- The letter can include whatever the writer wishes to share about you
What is the application deadline?
The deadline to submit an application to the 2024 Flip Flops Foundation Scholarship Program is January 31, 2024 at 11:59 pm EST.
Are the scholarship awards renewable?
Scholarship awards are renewable based on the term length of the applicant’s educational program (eg. 1, 2, 4yrs). Awards are renewed only upon applicant submission for a renewal award, and if applicants successfully maintain & fulfill each year, the stated terms to receive subsequent year grants.
How do I know my application was received?
You will receive an email notification after you submit your application.
I am not a high school grad, but I will be attending vocational/technical school; can I apply?
Yes, if you have a GED equivalent and meet all other scholarship eligibility requirements.
What can I apply my award to?
Scholarship awards are to be used to cover the cost of attendance at your educational school or program. This may include tuition, fees, books, supplies, living expenses, and meals.
Is the scholarship award made out to me or the school?
The scholarship award check is payable and mailed directly to your institution in nearly all situations.
Is the scholarship award taxable?
The scholarship recipient is responsible for taxes, if any, that may be assessed against your scholarship award. We recommend consulting a tax advisor or financial aid counselor for more guidance.